Saturday 12 December 2015

Making Noosa Headway

Day 138- Having finished our dive trip, We began our journey back down south. Our goal for the day was to drive to Townsville, only around 4 1\2 hours away and 347kms. Now that we had tackled the Great Barrier Reef, we had some more time to play with on our way back down. We decided to stop at a waterfall for a swim but unfortunately the water wasn't falling, it was sitting as still as could be.


The water looked like it had been sitting for quite a while so we opted out of the swim. Although we saw about a million tadpoles on the rocky creek floor, so our trip wasn't a complete waste. 


We arrived at a truck stop in Townsville fairly early so we took the opportunity to do some laundry and use the wifi at a gas station restaurant. 

The night ended with a glass of wine, Adele's beautiful voice serenading the evening and us trying to hold back tears. Love me some Adele.

Day 139- IT'S MY 30 BIRTHDAY!!! My morning began with a wonderful shower. Then, as I walked back to our campervan, I felt like every campers eyes were fixed on me. It's like when you buy a new shirt, you feel like everyone knows the shirt is new and is mentally noting how good you look in your new shirt. This was how I felt, I had just turned 30 and everyone knew it. No, no, no, that's crazy talk, how could they possible know it was my birthday? I arrived back at my home to see that Mike had decorated the outside and inside of the van with 30th birthday banners. Then he lit a candle on a cupcake and proceeded to sing happy birthday with a more than typical loud voice. I appreciated his passion and laughed as I made a wish and blew out my candle. Mike told me soon after that he had asked all the other campers to sing along with him.  HA! So, first off, I wasn't crazy, second off, how cute of Mike to put himself out there to ask and thirdly, how hilarious was it that although they agreed to sing, they all left Mike hanging. That was the best gift I could have asked for, I laughed so hard that I almost dropped my cupcake! All those other campers agreed to sing, then just stood there watching... OH ya, that is rich. 


I was spoiled by Mike, my parents in law and mamma Pinto, who gave me my first taste of "off the grid cash" since leaving for the trip. I was elated. The prospect of buying something non essential, guilt free, was beyond exciting. But before I could do that, my first request on my birthday was a proper breakfast. 


We went to a delicious spot in downtown Townsville and ordered some eggs benedict. I'm not sure if it was more delicious because we'd been eating muesli and milk for the past month but it truly was amazing. 

Next we went to the mall and paid $70 bucks to get the screen fixed on my iPhone 4, which I broke when it fell on the ground. Best part was we used "on the grid money" for this, leaving my "off the grid money" completely in tact. Which is more than I can say for my 2 phones... I smash more iPhones than Bill Gates. 
                       

Townsville was lacking the vibe and shopping scene I was hoping for when I imagined my birthday abroad. So, we hit the road and headed to the next town south of there, Airlie Beach. A quick 3 hours later we arrived in this cool beach town. I could feel the energy as soon as we drove in. 


Now it was time to do some shopping. I bought myself a new Seafolly swimsuit that fit me like a glove. The sun started to set and we needed to find somewhere to sleep for the night. Luckily, there was a sweet hostel that had a caravan park located on the main street, right in the thick of the action. It was the first time we were going to pay for a campsite but we figured it was the day to do it. We found our spot and began cooking dinner. For the special occasion we made chicken with artichokes and sundried tomatoes. It was delightful and potentially our favorite home made meal yet.


The mood was absolutely perfect. What a great way to celebrate my 30th. The night was cool, our music was shuffling through all the best tunes and my heart was full. I was in Australia and I was celebrating my 30th birthday with my favourite person, what could be better? After we chilled out for a while, we headed into town and found some live music to end the night on. I even got ID'ed, which was a great way to begin 30. 

<the below photo is a reenactment of true events that took place on the 23rd of November 2015>

 We vibed out for a while and enjoyed some drinks before getting a night cap of fries at McDonalds.


If this day was any indication of how my life will go in my 30's, I can't wait to see what adventures will arise by the time I turn 40. 

Day 140- I began the morning with a run through the town of Airlie Beach, along the ocean. Another ocean that cannot be swam in, what a shame.

             

The warning sign below indicates the reason people can't swim in the water. A sting from a box jelly fish can kill within minutes. 

             

We stayed in town for a little while and perused the shops a bit more before hitting the road. 

We found a campsite that looked like it was on a piece of farmland. In the distance, a dozen Kangaroos grazed the field. They all stood up and looked at us when we attempted to walk closer. We quickly stopped and backed out of this standoff. After a quick photo of course. 


We attemped to make ourselves a taco dinner just like we do back home but it just wasn't the same. We really miss our taco nights.

                           

We ate dinner while the sun set over the horizon. It was a lovely evening. 

 
Day 141- We like to listen to music when we're driving but we had exhausted a lot of our best playlists. To remedy our boredom we decided to download one of my favorite books on audio. The book Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts blew my mind the first time I read it. It is set in India and I wanted to read it again before going. Although, listening to it on audio would allow me to relive the amazing story and give Mike an opportunity to hear it as well. The next 45 hours of our driving time would be spent listening to one of the best stories I have ever read/heard. 

                              

We only had a short distance to go before arriving back in Noosa Heads. Yup, guess what Joey and Michelle.. we're baaacccck! Since our last encounter, our friends had secured a lovely condo right by the beach and they offered us a great big comfy couch to sleep on. We had planned to stay for a quick one or two day visit but our friends made us feel so welcome that we didn't want to leave.


We arrived late in the evening and felt a great sense of excitement to see our friends. We had only spent a little time getting reacquainted at our last visit but it was enough to make us feel like we were visiting old pals. After travelling for so long it is hard to explain how powerful that is. Nothing like some real friends to make you feel like your at home. We slept better that night than we had for a while.

Day 142- I had some money to spend and we wanted to get to know Noosa a little better, so we went to the Junction and spent the day window and real shopping. We splurged on good coffee and Mike got his beard trimmed. We returned to our temporary home for another attempt at taco night with the soon to be Curts. I know Vince understands how much Mike and I love our tacos and when we cooked them the night prior, we were really hoping to strike some feelings of nostalgia about our famous taco nights. Although our tacos were garbage in comparison and we were left disappointed. Just when we were going to give up on tacos all together a miracle happened. Joey and Michelle cooked up some wicked tacos and it brought back the memories we were looking for. 

Day 143- I woke up early at 4:30 AM bright eyed and bushy tailed. This gave me the perfect opportunity to research our next destinations, do some morning yoga and catch up with my sister. Mike compared me to Elf from the hit christmas movie Elf, he gets 45 minutes of sleep and while everyone is still sleeping, he makes a rocking horse chair and decorates the house. 

Once the rest of the house woke up, Mike, Joey and I headed off to the Eumundi Farmers Market. I had a list of items that I wanted to pick up so I was anxious to get shopping but first we needed to feed ourselves. Joey took us to a cool spot in the town of Eumundi that made an amazing muesli, home made yogurt and rhubarb compote dish.



I saw this on the side of the restaurant and it made me smile. Whoever thinks that Bieber is more influential than the Beatles needs to have their head checked. 


The market was a success. I bought two new pieces of art for our home and we indulged in some gelly/nutella filled donuts. 

                   


We got home in the early afternoon and hit the beach. I was laying in the sand watching Mike and Joey body surf in the waves and they were laughing like kids, so I went to join in. I caught the first wave back to shore and was rudely awakened that I was not qualified to be body surfing. The wave shuffled me around like a rag doll and just when I felt like I could breathe, the current would suck me back under, until I miraculously popped up and realized I was only in ankle deep water. Through the process I lost a contact, got sand burn on one of my knees and inhaled so much water that I might as well have drank it out of a glass. It took me a while to clear my head and when I was ready, I figured I'd give it another try... haha The second ride was none more successful. My top came off completely and I just about lost the other contact. Lesson learned. Body surfing wasn't my thing. 

Mike and I went to McDonalds to download some photos for the blog then returned back to the Joey and Michelle's with Pizza Hut, another favourite from back home. On the way over I was telling Mike how I'd like to see The Sound Of Music one day and ironically as we walked in the door we overheard Joey telling Michelle that The Sound Of Music was playing on the TV. It was a crazy coincidence and we all agreed to enjoy our pizza while watching the classic musical on TV.

                          

I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and knew many of the songs without even realizing where they came from. I must admit, I was surprised at Mike's knowledge of the movie. He knew all the words to the songs, which is a rare occurrence for him but I should have expected it knowing how much his sister Beckie loves musicals. 

Day 144- After some early morning shopping, where I acquired a new dress and t-shirt, Mike and I went on a well known hike in Noosa Heads. The Coastal Trail is 5.4 kms long, which takes around 1 to 2 hours to complete, including a few stops at the beach along the way. The hike began with a terrifying spider encounter.  Don't ask me how but somehow it ended up in Mike's mouth. 


Juuust Kidding. He was just chillin on his web along the pathway and we managed to snap a great photo of him.

                

The Coastal Trail goes along the beach, through dirt, sand and forest, all while providing breathtaking views of the ocean, hence the name Coastal Trail. From the moment we started the hike, we were in awe. 


As we walked along, we saw some people standing below a tree taking photos, Joey had warned us of this and we were excited to see it for ourselves. A wild koala just sittin in a tree, posing for onlookers. 

               

Then more ocean.


And more beach.


Then us in front of the ocean,


and Mike pulling sweet moves as he often does.


The trail slowly turned from dirt to sand and a natural archway lead us to the beach.

                           

A nude beach! 


The beach was quite secluded and although we saw some nudi's, it wasn't as exciting as the ones we saw on the Great Barrier Reef. Get it? 


The sand was absolutely supreme and sunk under our feet with each step. 

The hike ended at Joey and Michelle's beach and as we walked along the sand, we saw Joey coming towards us in the distance. He was going for a swim and we were looking to get refreshed so we joined him. Yes, I attempted to body surf once again, as if I hadn't learned my lesson the first time. But as it turned out, I didn't even need to attempt to surf the waves to get hurt. All I needed to do was stand in the shallow area where the waves broke and they were strong enough to knock me off my feet and pull me in. I smiled at Mike, as he watched me disappear within the waves, watching my legs come up at some point in the break and eventually my head popping up with a stunned look on my face. 

In the evening Joey took us to Hastings street for dinner. Unfortunately Michelle was dealing with some serious back pain that left her in bed and unable to join. She was greatly missed. We chose a restaurant called Betty's Burgers that seemed like a fancier version of a fast-food burger joint. 


The food was quite fast but the atmosphere was that of a sit down restaurant. 


We had heard that Australians are known for their burgers and after trying them first hand, we would have to agree. 


The street was alive with people and with the spirit of christmas. Lights and ornaments decorated the street and a beautiful tree sat at the center of it all. Just as I was really starting to miss the christmas cheer from home, I realized that it does exist in hot climates too. What a relief.

                   

We ended the night with a craft beer at a cool spot called Village Bicycle. 


Our time spent with Joey and Michelle reinvigorated us just as we were starting to miss home. We were sad to leave but we still had lots to see and we didn't want to crowd them while they settled into their new home.

2 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday! Too funny a pity your too coming off hahagaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That spider in Mike's mouth looked too real. How did you like te audiobook? I still haven't tried listening to any books. I feel like it would be easier to get distracted and miss things. Also, have you heard he came out with a new book late last year?? The Mountain Shadow

    ReplyDelete