Monday 18 April 2016

AC

Day 245/246- We had an early flight out of Delhi and it was off to Goa. Just a quick flight, however, due to some lazy planning on my part, we only found out once we landed that our final destination of Arambol was still a two hour drive away. Right from the start of the day I wasn't feeling well so I was anxious to get to Arambol. 

We arrived in the early evening and began to check out the town. It gave off a really cool vibe and there was no question that we had arrived in a hippy haven. We hadn't booked anything yet but we had word from our Breathe in Life friends of a nice hotel with AC. Now here's the thing about AC. You don't know you need AC until you neeeeeed AC. We don't always splurge for AC but when it's 35 degrees outside, humid as a steam room and you feel like a sack of jelly mixed with mashed potatoes, you should probably get a room with AC. But first, we had to find our AC hotel room. Our casual approach with the taxi driver drop off upon our arival, left us walking through town for an hour with all our bags on. The combination of my illness and the heat almost killed me. When we finally made it to Teremok (our hotel), I melted on our bed and didn't wake until morning. 

The next day was spent entirely in our room. We enjoyed the constant cold air of the AC, watched TV, ate soup and used the wifi. My illness was just in the beginning stages, so I wasn't interested in doing anything. 

Day 247- We finally made it out of the room and into the sweltering heat of the town. 


We were looking for yoga but because of the heat (mid march), everything was closing up for the season. Many businesses move up north to the Dharamshala region for the summer then come back to the south when things cool down in the winter. It was a little disappointing because we'd heard such great things about Goa. I guess the drum circles, sun worshipping and yoga classes just weren't going to happen. Although we did find some fresh fruit bowls and we had a potential lead on some yoga so we weren't giving up yet. Check out these steps below. Where do they go? Nobody knowssss? 

                     

We also ate some delicious fresh greens at a restaurant called Blue Pyramid. 


The heat made everything so much more difficult and just sucked our energy. It also made me feel more sick, so we returned home and I took a nap. We spent our evening in the shelter of our hotel, with the AC turned to high. Mike bought some paan (local indian chewing tobacco) from one of the guys at the hotel because he had been interested in trying it ever since listening to the book Shantaram. Paan is the red juice that covers most indian sidewalks from men spitting it out at their feet. I had read about the power and intensity of the tobacco online perviously and knew Mike was in for a shock. Although I didn't like it, I bit my tongue and let him experiment. Straight away he said it was potent tobacco... Within 15 minutes I noticed he was sweating profusely and soon after he tried to excuse himself to go to the bathroom. I knew what he was doing. You can't fool me! The effects were too strong and he wanted to get away from me so I wouldn't be upset. We'll I got news MK, you can't get away! Cuzz I'll fiiiiiind youuuuu! <crazy eyes> I mentioned to him that I knew how strong the stuff was and told him to sit still until the feelings subsided. He admitted that he was light headed and just wanted to lay down. Eventually the dizziness went away and Mike was able to go upstairs to lie down. Although I kept my opinions to myself, I think perhaps Mike could feel the wrath of my anger and fear burning through my eyes, so he threw the rest out. 

Day 248- So our first attempts at finding yoga had failed due to the fact that Goa was turning into a GOA ghost town but we were determined to get things going so we hit the internet hard. I'm so happy we did because we found a gem that just so happened to be in their final week before they closed for the season. The place was a sanctuary and we were instantly in zen mode. 

This beautiful Ganesha greeted us at the front entrance. Namaste!

                

Yoga was outside, shaded by an overhanging cloth led by a fantastically outgoing teacher for only six dollars a person.


After yoga we enjoyed some fresh delicious food. Fruit, muesli and yogurt bowl, fresh kombucha, real coffee (very hard to find in india, it's always instant) and freshly squeezed orange juice. 


This is the problem with places like this.... we find these gems and then spend way too much money on good food. 


Mike practicing some post meal meditation. Is he floating?!


This outing pretty much drained me of all my energy as I was still pretty sick, so we went back to our home for the rest of the night and marathon watched The Bachelor... Bahaha I just re-read the last few sentences and I know what my father in law will be thinking... what have I done to his son? Healthy food, yoga, meditation....THE BACHELOR? Don't worry Johnny, your son is still in there. He'll be home in no time and you two can build stuff, eat Mcdonalds, listen to rock and roll, say inappropriate things that Maureen with ask you not to and he'll still crush a beer can on his head just to get a laugh. But until then, he's mine. 

Day 249- Health meter is medium high. Finally took a day to hit up the beach and visit the fresh water lake nearby. 

                  

We enjoyed the refreshing water of Sweet Lake and watched the paragliders flying around the hillside above us. 


We jumped into the ocean looking for a rejuvenating cold shock but what we got instead was a warm bath. My health meter was slowly dropping, until... We were laying in the sand and an Indian lady selling scarfs passed by, she looked at Mike and said "you must have just arrived in India, because you are still very white". BAHAhahahhaa!!! Eight and a half months of travelling and that's what he gets! Too funny. Health meter rising. 


We went for lunch at Dreamland Cafe for another yoga session and more delicious food! Once again our evening ended with more Bachelor. Ben is just so darn cute and Mike thinks Olivia might be up to no good. 

Day 250- We spent most of the day at a really cute hide-a-way restaurant that could only be accessed by walking through a clothing store. I wish I could remember the name but it has left me. I worked on the blog and we ate more good food. I was still sick and it was getting the best of me. In the evening we caught a cab to the train station where we would board a train to our next destination. The car ride was brutal. 

Winding roads + plus 35 degree weather + me not feeling well = Breakdown! 

For the first time on the trip, I wanted to cancel everything and go home. I was regretting all of our future plans for Nepal, I didn't want to travel anymore of India, I was sick of being sick, I was tired of the food, the bathrooms, the people, the dirt, the heat, EVERYTHING! I didn't even want to say these things out loud because I knew I didn't mean them but in that moment, for the first time on the trip, I just wanted to be HOME! Luckily after we got to the train station, my stomach settled, the night brought cooler temperatures and I relaxed. 

We boarded our train and prepped for a 14 hour journey on the Indian Railway. The sleeper cars were a beautiful oasis amongst the maddness of India and it was just what I needed. Annnnnd exhale. 


                      


Next Stop, Alleppey. 





















1 comment:

  1. Cute! Glad you finally found yoga and that Mike survived his Tabasco experience!

    ReplyDelete